Every smile is different, which is why we offer more than one kind of orthodontic treatment. At Drake Family Dentistry, you have a choice of Invisalign or braces.
Braces have been around for many years, while Invisalign is a more recent treatment. The idea came from four Stanford University students in the late 1990s, one of whom wasn’t so satisfied with his own experience with orthodontics. It was introduced with a $31 million TV advertising campaign in 2000. Since then, it has become quite popular. Some 12 million people have used it to straighten their teeth.
The best way to determine which option is right for you is with an orthodontic consultation. To schedule one, call us today at 956-450-7375.
Invisalign Uses Aligners, Not Metal Wires
First, a reminder of how Invisalign is different from braces. Instead of straightening teeth with metal wires and brackets, it uses a series of clear plastic aligners to move your teeth into place. Once we’ve determined you’re a good candidate for it:
- We’ll use impressions of your teeth and 3-D modeling to design a treatment plan for you.
- Using our specifications, your aligners are produced at a special lab.
- When your aligners arrive, we’ll make sure the first set fits well and review your straightening plan with you.
- You’ll wear each set of aligners for about two weeks, then switch to the next set in the series.
- You’ll come to our Harlingen, TX office for periodic progress checks.
Invisalign Advantages Include Comfort & Convenience
One of the biggest advantages of Invisalign is how discreet it is. The aligners blend so easily into your smile that many people around you won’t even notice them. In addition to an unobtrusive appearance, the treatment is:
- Comfortable – There’s no metal hardware to cause sore spots in your mouth. Plus, you won’t need to have wires tightened.
- Convenient – You can take your aligners out for meals and for oral hygiene, making both of those experiences a lot easier than with braces.
- Quicker Than Braces – Most Invisalign patients complete their treatment within 12 months, while braces often take 18 months or longer.
Invisalign or Braces: Factors to Consider
With his training and experience treating many patients, Dr. Burton will be able to determine whether Invisalign or braces will work best for your smile. Working together with you, he will take several factors into consideration, including:
- Your Orthodontic Issues – For more complex orthodontic issues, especially those where rotation or vertical movement of teeth is needed, braces may be a better choice. That said, Invisalign works well for many common problems, including overbite, underbite, and crossbite.
- Your Lifestyle – Many adults, especially those with jobs that involve a lot of contact with the public, prefer nearly invisible aligners to braces. However, we do also offer braces with clear ceramic braces and tooth-colored wires. They work the same way that other braces do – but much more discreetly.
- Your Budget – It is difficult to directly compare costs, since many different factors come into play. After examining you, however, we’ll be able to give you a good idea of what you’ll pay with braces and with Invisalign.
- Your Self Discipline – We recommend wearing Invisalign aligners for 22 hours a day, removing them only for meals and oral hygiene. If you take your aligners out too often, it will lengthen your treatment time. If you lack the self discipline to follow this schedule, braces could be a more reliable option for you.
Ready to look at your orthodontics options? Call Drake Family Dentistry today at 956-450-7375 to schedule a consultation.